Thursday, 13 November 2014

13 October 2014

Today I thought of the road that I have traveled to get to where I am now. I might not be far, but I am definitely somewhere great, somewhere someone else wishes to be, I am in university doing a diploma in Journalism. I have come a long way, I have been through hell and back before I decided what I really wanted to do in life.

During the time I was growing up, just like many others I dreamed of becoming many things in life like, a doctor, scientist, a sportsman, an artist and so on. The biggest mistake I made was when I decided to go and do Nature Conservation. To be honest, at the time I was really desperate, I had spent the whole year doing nothing, no work, nothing at all. I remember that I had always wanted to do something involving Life Sciences (Biology), at least that’s what I thought would be the core of the course I wished to pursue. I thought the course would have many aspects involving Life Sciences as a field of study, without having done proper research.
I went to university to study it and it was hell. I spent that year failing, not attending, partying, doing all sorts of things that a less-interested student could do. I didn’t like the subject at all, not even a little bit.

I sat down and thought of the things that fascinated me, things that I enjoy doing. I enjoy music, sport, researching, I like finding out about things, I enjoy communicating, mostly I like telling stories, I like engaging in positive talks, ones that develop and inspire people. I have always viewed myself as someone who is a motivator. I wish to have my own talk show or my own slot on radio or television, whereby I would chat with people about the problems we face in South Africa and the rest of the world.

That is how I decided to do what I am doing now. I know Journalism is a broad field. I might end up in other parts of it like print, where I wouldn’t get the chance to share my own views and be subjective. However I would really love to have a show which would allow me to interact with people and probably help them deal with whatever problems they might have, or the problems we face every day as a country. I wish to be like Sibusiso Leope (DJ Sbu) and play a role in developing other people’s lives. I wish to have a show which I would discuss all that I share with people on this blog.


This post might not seem like I am developing anyone now, but it is. I want people to be sure of what they want and do in life, as every decision we make affects the whole of our lives. I want schools to be there for students who have to make career decisions, parents as well in communities. All the above should teach someone somewhere something, so that they do not make the same mistakes I made.  

No comments:

Post a Comment